Tuesday 9 August 2011

London Riots

Seeing this last night:


Absolutely mental. Protest my foot, I doubt half the people doing this have any notion of how it actually started, it's just an excuse to chuck stuff.

"A crowd always thinks with its sympathy, never with its reason." - William R.Alger

I realise that someone was shot, but this taking sympathy just a tad too far. It's a load of yobs having a night out, on an immense scale.

And to corrobborate my first statement, I just overheard a guy on TV say "...I doubt many of the rioters even have any idea of who Mark Duggen was...".

News Article BBC London Riots

In related new, Dodie refuses to believe me that this actually happened


We were discussing the Battle of Orgreave, in connection to protests/actions/strikes which turned violent and reasons behind them, comparing them to the current riots (the comparisons were not favourable to our riots now). Also mentioned was how people criticised police for being under/over forceful.
I have nothing against the police, and I think it is a shame that they seem to be getting so much stick recently for using more power than necessary, not that I know much about it so I'll stop there. However, I'm a bit miffed about the fact that when I remembered this photograph, and showed it to Dodie as it was connected with our discussion, she then went on to say that it was misleading and that the policeman probably wasn't about to hit that photographer. I'd like to know what else she thinks was going to happen?

Lesley Boutlon (photographer in photo) Account

No comments:

Post a Comment